Dan,
You're right, it was the byte array that was becoming too big.
After I commented out the first send to server and the MTOM client code
seems to send file,
as you said , now the OOM error has moved to server .

However - I am still splitting my hair to see what wrongdoing I did in my
applications client which still continues to give me OOM error due to heap
space

Below isclient side stack trace from my client ( that uses https transport
and a some more complex data structures) ... let me know if you notice
anything untoward here

Please note that this happens after I call the service method on my port
object that uploads large object  "port.uploadObject(objReqParam);

Opened file:src/main/InfantHealthcare.jpg for read...( this is a BIG file)
        at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:2271)
        at
java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream.toByteArray(ByteArrayOutputStream.java:178)
        at
org.apache.cxf.helpers.IOUtils.readBytesFromStream(IOUtils.java:235)
        at
org.apache.cxf.io.CachedOutputStream.getBytes(CachedOutputStream.java:264)
        at
org.apache.cxf.transport.http.HTTPConduit$WrappedOutputStream.handleRetransmits(HTTPConduit.java:2015)
        at
org.apache.cxf.transport.http.HTTPConduit$WrappedOutputStream.handleResponse(HTTPConduit.java:2066)
        at
org.apache.cxf.transport.http.HTTPConduit$WrappedOutputStream.close(HTTPConduit.java:1925)
        at
org.apache.cxf.transport.AbstractConduit.close(AbstractConduit.java:56)
        at
org.apache.cxf.transport.http.HTTPConduit.close(HTTPConduit.java:662)
        at
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.MessageSenderInterceptor$MessageSenderEndingInterceptor.handleMessage(MessageSenderInterceptor.java:62)
        at
org.apache.cxf.phase.PhaseInterceptorChain.doIntercept(PhaseInterceptorChain.java:247)
        at org.apache.cxf.endpoint.ClientImpl.invoke(ClientImpl.java:516)
        at org.apache.cxf.endpoint.ClientImpl.invoke(ClientImpl.java:313)
        at org.apache.cxf.endpoint.ClientImpl.invoke(ClientImpl.java:265)
        at
org.apache.cxf.frontend.ClientProxy.invokeSync(ClientProxy.java:73)
        at
org.apache.cxf.jaxws.JaxWsClientProxy.invoke(JaxWsClientProxy.java:124)
        at $Proxy36.uploadObject(Unknown Source)
        at
com.dell.dcca.webservice.objectstore.client.Client.main(Client.java:127)