OK, understood so far. Next thing is holder-of-key:

I am referring to this WS-Trust article here:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_JBoss_Fuse/6.0/html/Web_Services_Security_Guide/files/WsTrust-BasicScenario.html

It says, for the holder-of-key scenario (PublicKey variant): "The client
must prove to the WS server that it possesses a particular private key."

" ... The server attempts to authenticate the client (by requiring a client
X.509 certificate or by UsernameToken credentials) and checks that the
client's identity matches the holder-of-key identity. ..."

Is this really true? I mean if I have to provide a SAML token AND a
UsernameToken (or X.509 cert) this kinda contradicts the idea of an STS, no?