Can you experiment with JAX-RS RI UriBuilder and double check that passing to it a query parameter like "%DE" will not encode it ?

I'm pretty sure they won't. I have done a lot of work with UriBuilder to make sure it passed JAX-RS 1.1 and the early 2.0 TCK that was available to Apache. So I'd be surprised if I had to fix UriBuilder further given that a lot of TCK tests are targeted at UriBuilder.

If Jersey does encode it then I'll review it and see what may need to be done

Sergey