> Now, as far as my own practical requirement is concerned, this model needs
> to be JPA persisted with OpenJPA. So I've spent a lot of time by
> experimenting with the load time weaving with Spring ORM, which does not
> seem to be stable or reliable, and while I accept it might work it does not
> seem the right way to go for me. Using OpenJPA -javaagent is also very
> messy.

We are using Load-time-weaving with spring and eclipselink in production,
and LTW looks like stable,
we are using
org.springframework.instrument.classloading.tomcat.TomcatInstrumentableClassLoader

And LTW is useful in many other cases, eg. @Transactional, @Cacheble  can
use LTW (aspectj), which is more  useful that default proxy mode, which has
limitation, that works only when calling from outer class.