It is definitely possible.  Microbule (a library I'm working on) supports
creating JAX-RS services using the "whiteboard pattern".  The SCR example
is here:

https://github.com/Microbule/microbule/blob/master/example/scr/src/main/java/org/microbule/example/scr/HelloScr.java

The interesting part (where you actually create the server) is here:

https://github.com/Microbule/microbule/blob/master/core/src/main/java/org/microbule/core/DefaultJaxrsServerFactory.java

Microbule is under heavy construction, but feel free to pilfer it for what
you need or use it as you wish.