Ok, i was able to work a bit deeper into this.

1. the integration works, but firing async events doesn't work.  I'm not
sure it should, since you're just appending to the request; but I want to
play with async requests a bit.

2. The integration seems flakey I'm afraid.  I'll run a test, almost always
it passes, but then every off test run will cause SSE to not get
activated.  I have no reproducer for this.

When it does fail, all I get on the log is

Sep 17, 2017 7:50:33 PM org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletController
invoke
WARNING: Can't find the request for http://my-hostname:4403/rest's Observer

However, I see none of the atmosphere bootstrap occurring when this
happens.  Here's full logs for both failure and success:
https://paste.apache.org/rWwj

3. I had to manually install the feature.  Does CXF have any notion of
automatically registering features?

4. I also had to customize the transport id.  It would be good if this was
automatic.

John