When my app throws:

throw new NotAcceptableException("Client tried with wrong format <" +
orgImportRecord.toString() + ">");

the client gets an 500.. looking in the log I can see that the
ValidationExceptionMapper is "responsible"..

I can come with an more complete example. if you want?

--
Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Nino Martinez