I need to create four interceptor ancestor classes to log the SOAP XML of an
inbound or outbound message to the database.

I've seen examples and some work to a point but mostly I'm just confused.

I need clarification as to which phase to write them for:

WS client outbound: ? POST_MARSHAL or MARSHAL_ENDING ?
WS client inbound: ? POST_PROTOCOL_ENDING or UNMARSHAL ?

WS server inbound: ? PROTOCOL_ENDING ?
WS server outbound: ? PROTOCOL ?

One of the examples I got off the CXF site seems to work for client code (my
application consuming a web service) but when I created a new descendent for
another client, an exception occurs deep inside stax code.

This line: SOAPMessage saaj = message.getContent(SOAPMessage.class); frequently
returns nothing. Why?