Thanks.

I deleted my branch and imported yours from the LDIF.

Everything works as expected.

Here's my testing Main class:
> import java.io.IOException;
>
> import org.apache.directory.ldap.client.api.LdapConnectionConfig;
> import org.apache.directory.ldap.client.api.LdapNetworkConnection;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.model.exception.LdapException;
> import org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.model.name.Dn;
>

> public class Main
> {
>     public static void main( String[] args ) throws LdapException, IOException
>     {
>         String dnString =
> "cn=testAttribute,ou=attributes,cn=testUser,ou=users,ou=userdata,dc=openengsb,dc=org";
>         Dn dn = new Dn( dnString );
>
>         LdapConnectionConfig config = new LdapConnectionConfig();
>         config.setLdapHost( "localhost" );
>         config.setLdapPort( 10389 );
>         config.setName( "uid=admin,ou=system" );
>         config.setCredentials( "secret" );
>
>         LdapNetworkConnection connection = new LdapNetworkConnection( config
> );
>
>         connection.bind();
>
>         System.out.println( connection.exists( dnString ) );
>         System.out.println( connection.exists( dn ) );
>         System.out.println( connection.exists( dn.getName() ) );
>
>         connection.close();
>     }
> }

That's really weird you're getting an error.

In my testing environment I'm using both trunk versions of API/Shared and
ApacheDS.
Maybe there was a bug in previous versions and it got fixed in between…

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud