I followed the instructions in section 3.2 - Basic authorization on a ApachedDS 2.0.0-M23 installation and although the configuration appears to be identical to the documented one, I am not able to obtain the expected result.

For example, using "uid=admin,ou=system"  yields the following:
****
**
$ ldapsearch -h apacheds -p 10389 -D "uid=admin,ou=system" -w secret -b "o=sevenSeas" -s sub "(objectclass=person)" uid userPassword
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <o=sevenSeas> with scope subtree
# filter: (objectclass=person)
# requesting: uid userPassword
#

# Thomas Masterman Hardy, people, sevenseas
dn: cn=Thomas Masterman Hardy,ou=people,o=sevenseas
userpassword:: e1NIQX1uVTRlSTcxYmNuQkdxZU8wdDl0WHZZMXU1b1E9
uid: thardy

...etc..

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 12
# numEntries: 11

While, if I use "cn=Horatio Nelson,ou=people,o=sevenSeas", I get an emtpy result:

$ ldapsearch -h apacheds -p 10389 -D "cn=Horatio Nelson,ou=people,o=sevenSeas" -w pass -b "o=sevenSeas" -s sub "(objectclass=person)" uid userPassword
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <o=sevenSeas> with scope subtree
# filter: (objectclass=person)
# requesting: uid userPassword
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 1

Having turned on debugging in the logging configuration, I can see that both commands actually retrieve identical search results but in the second case, it appears the result is filtered out possibly by the org.apache.directory.server.core.authz.AciAuthorizationInterceptor.AuthorizationFilter.

As fas as I can tell, my configuration is exactly as specified in the documentation and I am not seeing any kind of error message in the logs or elesewhere.

Anybody with any idea about where the problem may lie?

/Laurent