Hi,

> OK, your reply clarifies the issue. I confirm that I could reproduce
> the same issue you had following your reply. So something is missing,
> or maybe if the use case is justified, maybe additional work should be
> done in the build system (maybe related to
> mk/rte.extsubdir.mk) to support it (I assume you know the build system
> is now moving to meson/ninja)

It would be really beneficial for (I suppose not only) our use case where we
generate some files (.c and .h) for serialization/deserialization (we're using
thrift) and would prefer them contained in a standalone folder.

Having it in standalone folder makes a few things easier. It clearly
communicates that these are compiler generated files. It also makes
regenerating / clearing them easy and safe.

And I don't think that's the only usecase for having modules both in project's
root and a subfolder.

> I found a workaround, maybe it will satisfy you.
> I created a soft link from the helloworld folder:
> ln -s tst/tst.c tst.c
> and
> instead having
> SRCS-y := main.c \
>         tst/tst.c
> I use
> SRCS-y := main.c tst.c
>
> And it works for me. Any change in tst/tst.c and running make triggers
> building of tst/tst.c. "make clean" works, etc.

Awesome! That's better than the hack workaround I came up with.