Intel XL710 supports HW timestamping, however, it would work only on PTP
packets and not on normal packets.

Few things I would suggest :

1) Check if you enabled "CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_IEEE1588=y" in your
config/common_base when building dpdk.

2) Checkout
https://github.com/praveingk/DPTP/tree/master/dptpclient/src/dptpclient.c
on how to enable the timesync.

3) Craft the packets using similar header as
https://github.com/praveingk/DPTP/blob/master/dptpclient/src/dptp.h

I had used the same NIC, and it should work.

Thanks,
Pravein