Hi Nick,

If I understand your notation g_yy(0,1,0) correctly to mean g_yy along the y axis and g_yy(1,0,0) to g_yy along the x-axis, the statement you make is not correct. What you would expect in a spherically symmetric spacetime is that g_xx(1,0,0)=g_yy(0,1,0)=g_zz(0,0,1), i.e. gxx along x should be the same as g_yy along y and g_zz along z.

Cheers,

  Peter