Based on
http://mime-util.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mime-util/trunk/eu.medsea.mimeutil/src/eu/medsea/mimeutil/magicfile/Helper.java?revision=91&view=markup,
the magic.mime file has to be in the root of the classpath, not META-INF.

Are you embedding mime-util into your own bundle or using it as a
separate bundle? In the latter case, I think you'll have to use the
system property/file system mechanism. In the former case, it should work.

In general, if you're using maven-bundle-plugin, you shouldn't be
mucking with Bundle-Classpath too much. m-b-p will manage it for you.

You might want to try Tika instead. I know they're OSGi-friendly :)

Justin