If you're referring to the fact that using spring custom namespaces in
osgi forces you to actually import a lot of packages, this is indeed a
problem specific to the way Spring-DM handles custom namespaces.
Do you have use cases for that other than when using SPring-DM ? If
so, can you explicit the real use cases where offline inspection would
not be sufficient ?

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 17:28, John Platts <john_pla...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I actually want to address issues with Felix and the OSGi specification that
> are not specific to the Spring Framework, Spring DM, or Eclipse Gemini.
>
> One of the real issues that I want to address is to be able to import bundles
> containing certain packages without having to list all of the packages
> exported by that bundle and without having to know the symbolic name of the
> bundle. This feature is useful because:
> - It eliminates the need to do a dynamic import of the needed packages
> - It allows entire bundles to be imported without having to know the symbolic
> names of the bundles
> - It does not require the user to know all of the packages exported by a
> bundle

>> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 17:02:06 +0100
>> Subject: Re: Issues that need to be addressed in Apache Felix and the OSGi
>> specification
>> From: gno...@gmail.com
>> To: users@felix.apache.org
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 16:51, John Platts  wrote:
>> >
>> > I have been running into several problems when developing web application
>> > bundles that utilize the Spring Framework. The problems that I have been
>> > running into are:
>> > - The Spring Framework needs to access META-INF/spring.handlers and
>> > META-INF/spring.schemas files in JARs that have these files
>> > - The Spring Framework needs access to packages that are not in the
>> > Import-Package header of web application bundles that utilize the Spring
>> > Framework
>> >

>> I agree those are real issues with Spring-DM. But that's not really
>> the place for such discussions.
>> FWIW, you should give Aries Blueprint a try, as all those problems
>> have been solved in it.
>>
>> > The issues that really need to be addressed in both Apache Felix and the
>> > OSGi specification are:
>> > - The ability to require bundles by specifying packages that they export
>> > instead of by specifying the symbolic names of the bundles.
>> > - The ability to make META-INF and its subdirectories visible to class
>> > loaders of bundles that meet at least one of the following criteria:
>> >  - Requires a bundle
>> >  - Imports all of the packages exported by the bundle (by requiring
>> > bundle(s), importing package(s), and/or dynamically importing package(s))
>> > plus has a DynamicImport-Package header that includes META-INF and its
>> > subdirectories
>> >
>> > Addressing the issues above will make it easier to use OSGi bundles from
>> > Web Application Bundles without having to rely on workarounds.
>>
>> What are you underlying problem ? Maybe they already have some
>> solutions. For the first one, this is an OSGi good practice and is
>> done widely, so not sure what your issue is. The second one might be
>> related to various issues which i'm quite sure have been fixed in
>> various ways (having solved some myself).

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Guillaume Nodet

Cheers,