On 10/19/11 11:02 , David Griffin wrote:
Thanks Richard.
In that case, I'll modify my steps to:

1. As before.
2. Convert entire app. to an OSGi bundle.
3. Split the "Mega Application" bundle up into multiple bundles as per my
required modularity.

Basically, that's what I'd recommend.

-> richard

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard S. Hall [mailto:he...@ungoverned.org]
Sent: 19 October 2011 15:27
To: users@felix.apache.org
Subject: Re: Newbie - OSGi startup advice please

On 10/19/11 07:24 , David Griffin wrote:
Hi all,

I am new to Java and even newer to OSGi, though I have been experimenting
and reading up on both for the past few weeks. I have posted specific
questions previously regarding the project I have been tasked with
(writing
a graphical, wizard based, configuration tool with pluggable modules to
add
further wizard panels) and had some very helpful replies. I have
subsequently bought the "OSGi in Action" book and am reading through this
further my understanding.

My question is, given how new I am to both Java and OSGi, I am wondering
what the best approach might be for me to achieve the required result.
Here
are my thoughts, feel free to recommend an alternative route, if you
believe
it would be simpler.

1.       Implement the configuration tool application in Java making use
of
Java interfaces to provide a clear linkage point between the core
application and what I intend to eventually become pluggable modules (the
classes providing the wizard panels).

2.       Split the application into a main module (which embeds the OSGi
framework) and bundles which implement the various wizard panel classes.
The
bundles would be implemented as OSGi services and the 'launcher' code in
the
main app. would add and start all bundles found in a sub-folder of
application on application startup (much like the felix paint sample
program).
Overall, this would work, but unless you have some specific reason you
need to embed the framework into your app as opposed to making
everything in your app a bundle, then I'd try to stick with making
everything a bundle first, since there are fewer issues that way.

It is fine if you want to write your own framework launcher code to do
something specific for your needs (you'll learn how to do this in
chapter 13), but otherwise try to make everything else a bundle.

->  richard

I'm also relatively new to the development and build environments used for
Java, of which there seem to be many. For now, I'm trying to stick with
NetBeans (7.0.1), which I have some experience with, so that I don't have
start learning another IDE, it's additional plugins and/or the additional
project/build tools (Bnd/Ant/Maven etc.).

Thanks in advance

Dave