I agree that a modern OSGI managed application should have little to no
references to OSGI at all. The DI options available in Blueprint, IPOJO,
PAX-CDI, etc. make this possible.

However, you can get too obsessed with this purity and find yourself
employing dynamic service proxies to respond to service changes in objects
(and collections of objects) not managed by the DI container. This would
be a mistake. These proxies should never be employed in a system requiring
very high performance. Instead your application code needs to support the
concepts of service availability and change natively.

-Nick Baker