Thanks for your answer Richard!

I am aware if the FAQ however what it basically tells you is "it depends"
;) Thus I was hoping for some more insides so I can better understand the
intentions and the situation with service APIs from OSGi specs as of today.
So, if I understand your answer correctly the conclusions are:

- Never use compendium bundle at runtime because it is not a proper bundle
(whatever that means). I agree with you that this should be in FAQ at
least. It would be even better if there is some more official statement
(may be there is and I just couldn't find it) that also explains why!

- There are no proper/official separate API bundles for the service APIs
defined in the specs. Vendors are free to choose if they (1) package the
API in the implementation bundle, (2) provide the implementation only or
(3) provide separate bundles for API and implementation. Felix has chosen
the first approach to avoid maintaining too many bundles. IMHO
and according to the FAQ it seems the third approach makes more sense: "*This
situation would be different if the service API were package in a separate
bundle. In this situation, all consumer bundles would be wired to the API
bundle, not to the provider bundle. Thus, if the provider were updated or
uninstalled and then refreshed, the consumer bundles would only be
minimally impacted (i.e., they would either switch to the new version of
the provider or to a different provider).*"  but I respect your decisions.

- There is no issue with split packages
<http://wiki.osgi.org/wiki/Split_Packages> because regardless of the
provider and the way APIs they are packaged/exported the API package(s)
*should* always be both complete and limited to what what OSGi alliance has
specified. IMHO this should be a bit more strict than just expecting
vendors to "do it right". Then perhaps consumers can feel a bit more safe
from such issues when choosing an implementation (without the need to
examine it's internals). But I'm not going to argue about it.

Once again thanks for your answers. Please correct me if
I misunderstood something.

Regards,
Milen