On Thursday, 4 June 2015 at 20:10, Simon Kitching wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, being able to derive at least some of the dependencies by
> introspecting the code, and then finding bundles that provide those
> packages via the repo-index is one of the advantages over OBR; it
> reduces the work of adding such dependencies to the pom manually.
> However that's not a _huge_ amount of work.
>
> There are presumably other advantages to OBR vs maven. Has nobody ever
> documented them?

Its not a matter of one over the other. Maven is a build tool, OBR is a runtime
metadata repository. They can be and frequently are used together.

> I'm also somewhat puzzled by how a tool would derive the OBR
> dependencies from the source-code in the first place. Introspecting
> source-code for such things is hard; analysing class-files is much
> easier - but that requires the code to be _compiled_ first, which means
> figuring out which jarfiles to include on the compilation-classpath,
> which seems to me to be a circular problem :-)

Not at all, it's just a different scope. Build dependencies are set manually by
the developer (and incidentally, don't need to be transitive in general).

Runtime dependencies are indeed analysed from the bytecode in the jar.