My current task is to set up a Felix framework behind an API. To get
actual work done, there are some interfaces in packages on the system
bundle that are published by bundles of mine, and then the code
'outside' the framework obtains them.

For the main service I created, this all works find with a
ServiceTracker as the tool for waiting for the code inside the
container to get around (via SCR) to publishing the service I need.

Next, I decided that, as part of my bootstrap process, it would make
sense for me to push some configuration into ConfigurationAdmin. So, I
added the 'cmpn' jar to the outer classpath, and org.osgi.service.cm
to the system bundle, and tried to use a service tracker to obtain a
ConfigurationAdmin reference.

'waitForService' on the tracker waits forever.

In the debugger, I can (eventually) obtain the ConfigurationAdmin
reference against the system bundle context. So this leads me to
believe that there's something I don't understand about threads and
Felix; I was expecting that once I started the framework, things like
activation of the ConfigurationAdmin service would happen on some
other thread, so I could have my main thread wait for it with a
ServiceTracker.

I can give up on this ConfigurationAdmin-from-outside bootstrap in
favor of passing some properties into an interface of a service of
mine, and let _it_ negotiate with ConfigurationAdmin for me, so if
this whole approach is poor it's easy to abandon.