If your trying to prevent addition of a new item.  Try the preventDefault()
from the changing event.  Just check for the -3 new value.

-Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: mark goldin [mailto:markzolo...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2013 7:08 AM
To: users
Subject: Comboox clear text

I am trying to make my combobox acting as the following:
When a user enters a value that is not found in combo's data and when a
focus is moved to another control I want to clear the text that the user
just entered. Here is my code:
if (selectedIndex == -3)
{
selectedIndex = -1;
prompt = "";
}
which works fine as long as the combo has data, but if no dataProvider has
been specified that code will not clear user's entry. What would work
is textInput.text = ""; but if I go back to the combo and try to enter
another text it will not show first character I type in. Instead, the
dropdown portion will be expended and if I continue typing then the
characters starting from second one will start appearing.
Any idea?

Thanks