Are the numbers the same for both FF and Chrome?  Chrome may just have
better optimization for workers.  Chrome may have discovered that sharing
between multiple processes is better than multi-threading for Workers.

I'm not an expert on Workers and multi-threading, but I always thought
that there is little advantage, and potential a disadvantage, of running
more threads of equal priority than there is CPU/Core availability.

FF is known for having overhead from other FF plugins.  The difference in
performance you are seeing could be from that as well.

HTH,
-Alex