I'm guessing just test for an empty string / value when doing the compare for
that column.  Only catch is to watch for the sorting direction to always force
the blanks down.  Here is a page [1] that may help.  Below is a from the hip
example I put together... although it needs

import spark.components.gridClasses.GridColumn;
import spark.globalization.SortingCollator;

protected var collator:SortingCollator = new SortingCollator();

function sortCompareWhatnot(obj1:Object, obj2:Object, gc:GridColumn):int
{
    if (String(obj1[gc.dataField]) == "")
    {
        if (gc.sortDescending == true)
        {
            return -1
        }

        return 1;
    }

    if (String(obj2[gc.dataField]) == "")
    {
        if (gc.sortDescending == true)
        {
            return 1
        }

        return -1;
    }

    return collator.compare(obj1[gc.dataField], obj2[gc.dataField]);
}

<s:GridColumn sortcompareFunction="sortCompareWhatnot" />

[1]
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/using/WS8b1c39bd7e9fc3647f39ab2512d530e9965-8000.html

-Mark