Hello jfb,

It doesn't say in that link if you can base your output on a template. We
developed our own output functions for ODF format so I don't use poi.

The way we got round this problem though was to create a template with the
pivot tables set up, use an instance of the template to write the base data to,
and then use hooks to macros in Excel and LibreOffice to refresh the Pivot
Tables when the output file was opened. We found that without the macros, the
pivot tables wouldn't refresh (although I can't remember if that was just
LibreOffice, as Excel I think has a flag to auto refresh Pivot Tables on open).

It can be a bit dirty, but it does work. That idea might also get you round the
chart limitation as well…

All the best,

Mick