Here's an example of the spark datagrid in my app with locked first column.
 I have locked the first column and given it a gray background:

https://www.analyticacloud.com/fixedFirstColumnSparkDataGrid.avi

That's on my Ipad mini in iOS7 (not retina).

I simply set dataGrid.lockedColumnCount = 1;  I did not do anything to
interactionMode.

If you want me to come up with some sample code, let me know.