In the second case, the definition of the class someVO will be included in
the compiled swf,  because it appears in the code.

In the first case,  the compiler has no knowledge that someVO would be
used.

Just declaring a dummy object of type someVO at the top of the class would
ensure that the compiler includes that class definition in the swf.

Thanks,
Om