I've seem to have missed this thread, apologies.

Well it's one of those situations when there isn't a correct answer.  It's been
in the source for a few years now, so we cannot do anything to it without
breaking other people who rely on what exists now.

The solution for you may be to monkey patch the file[1][2] on your end and
remove the style declaration[3].  I didn't see any reference to the getters /
setters causing you troubles, but you would have the capability to remove them
too.

To monkey patch, just follow the pathing structure from your project source
root.  So add folder and put the modified file in...

spark/components/CheckBox.as

[1] flexsdk/frameworks/projects/spark/src/spark/components/CheckBox.as
[2] http://flex.apache.org/asdoc/spark/components/CheckBox.html#styleSummary
[3] [Style(name="gap", type="int", inherit="no")]

-Mark