I had similar problems with Greek characters and MySql database server that i
used through weborb for java. I resolved it by adding some more parameters
in the creation of sql connection

I am copying the part of cql connection string that resolved my ptoblem

    <add
connectionString="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/databasename?zeroDateTimeBehavior=convertToNull&amp;useUnicode=true&amp;characterEncoding=utf8&amp;characterSetResults=utf8&amp;user=root&amp;password=rootroot"
driver="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" name="applicationModel"/>

Check yours if it has the useUnicode=true, characterEncoding=utf8 and
characterSetResults=utf8.

Hope that helps.