This sounds like you are using an older version of the compiler with a newer
version of the maven plugin.
Currently configuration is changing a lot and you should always use the same
version of compiler as you are using in the plugin.

But what are you doing exactly. Maven doesn’t require you to have anything
installed locally, you only need that if you are building with FlashBuilder or
Ant.

Chris