Hey all:

We started noticing our mobile Flex app was unresponsive for like 5 or 6
seconds at launch where the UI was frozen. After profiling, we found the entire
problem is with RichText and RichEditableText controls.

We have social posts (like twitter) that consist of a post (one
RichEditableText control so links work) plus one or more comments on that post
(one more RichEditableText so links work).

With only 18 posts (36 total instances of RichEditableText) it takes just about
5 or 6 full seconds for the text to be imported (average post size is 15 or 20
words)!

mainContent.textFlow = TextFlowUtil.importFromString(_post.text);
// we have one custom link embedding an id rather than href so we have to do
this as well, which could be part of the problem
var linkElements:Array = StringUtils.findLinkElements(mainContent.textFlow);
for each (var link:LinkElement in linkElements) {
    link.addEventListener(FlowElementMouseEvent.CLICK, linkClickedHandler,
false, 0, true);
}

and

commentContent.textFlow = TextFlowUtil.importFromString(content);

Is there any other alternative? Any ideas how I can use hyperlinks in text
displayed in a flex mobile app that doesn't carry the TLF behemoth along
greatly appreciated.

Erik