Yes, that's it, and it can certainly improve network performance too.
Imagine you have a list (not using virtualRenderers) with 2000 images. Do
you want your mobile to open 2000 http connections and try to load 2000
images at once? That would take a while, and it's much faster (both
visually and timely) to download only 3-4 at a time: that's what queueing
does :) (there's was a maxActiveRequests with a default of 2 somewhere
alongside with the enableQueueing). Plus, http servers usually limit the
maximum number of connections per client, so if you do 2000 request most of
them will timeout and fail, or just get rejected.

When using virtualRenderers (and depending on your content size), it might
as well be useful, since you can control the queue and cancel the download
if the item has gone offscreen (that HUGE gif animation you skipped up must
stop hogging your bandwidth, since it's more important to load now the
beautiful and tiny JPG you are looking at). Destroying / recycling the
virtualRenderer doesn't mean the connection to download it's content is
also stopped/canceled as well. Have a look at activeRequests and
requestQueue lists on runtime to get an idea :) (and even to priorities for
prioritizing some contents above others in the queue).

Hope it helps :)

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/spark/core/ContentCache.html#activeRequests