'I wonder how adobe plans to get around the asset catalog requirement. Do
you suppose they create an asset catalog during the build'

At the moment that is not the case - see the section titled 'iOS SDK
Upgrade' in the air28 release notes. I don't know if this will change or
not. but for now it is a manual step and requires a mac & xcode9 (my main
dev setup is windows, but I had to get a small mac for dealing with the
occasional mac-only build requirements or differences).