Bahahahahaaaa!!!  You are right, gradients are a little bit out of style, but
I don't think they are the problem.  All my skins are FXG vector graphics so
gradient or solid wouldn't make a difference.

I have a solution, but I don't know how reliable it will be.  It expects all
of the graphics at 160 DPI, and makes adjust for pixel dimensions based on
DPI.  So this is what a column would look like now if you wanted it to be
10% of the screen width.

column1.width = Math.round(appWidth * .1 * 160 / this.appRuntimeDPI);

What this basically does is multiply the dimension that you calculate by a
ratio of 160 divided by the appRuntimeDPI.  This works on an Samusung Galaxy
Tab 2 Android that I have and an iPad 2, both with different DPI, and it
works perfectly.  My concern is the appRuntimeDPI.

How reliable are values like appRuntimeDPI, screenDPI, applicationDPI these
days in AIR???  They used to be pretty flaky, but I don't know if that has
changed in the last couple of years.

Thanks!