Erik, you are always so generous with your help on this site, I wish I could
give you a nugget of information.  Alas, I have no experience with this even
in the slightest and can offer no help.  I'm sure you already thought about
it, but the first thing that popped into my head is if the volume level of
the individual's device could affect the volume level that everyone else is
hearing it at?  If so, maybe you would have to override the volume of the
individual device and set a standard volume manually.

I know it is a stretch, and likely not related at all.  I was just thinking
that it possibly was not related to the gain level of the mic, but the audio
level of the speaker.

Just a thought.