Thank you Olaf.  This "deep linking" was exactly what I was looking for.  I
will have to read it more thoroughly, but my concern at this point is
desktop solutions.  After a surface read, deep linking looks pretty well
covered on mobile devices, but our app will be written for both mobile and
desktop, and I am less confident that an email link that is clicked will be
able to open a desktop app to the state that I want it in as easily as it
will open a mobile app the proper state.  The best solutions I have stumbled
across so far are ANE's, which won't work on desktop.