Some additional informations: I tested the capabilities of the print
plugin trough this URl: http://localhost:8080/geoserver/pdf/info.json (so
outside of a GeoExt context).

Although PDF and PNG are specified in my yaml file, the capabilities
document says that PDF is the only available output format. So, it seems
that the problem comes from the server side, probably from the printing
GeoServer plugin. Does anyone know if this plugin allows PNG printing?

Geoffrey