First thanks for your answer!

I don't have many experience with Geoserver, so I have a question:
In this field "default WMS path" do I have to type in numbers? Or how can
geoserver identify the position? Can you give me a small example?

Kathrin

Hi!  A tip that may help: maybe there is an easier way to do what you want.
 You can create a treePanel by using the
"GeoExt.tree.WMSCapabilitiesLoader" class. Then, in GeoServer, you can
fill in the "default WMS path" field of each layer:
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/webadmin/data/layers.html  This
field allows GeoServer to create a hierarchy in the WMS Capabilities
document of your GeoServer. Then, this hierarchy is identified by the
treePanel, that creates automatically themes and sub-themes.  Geoffrey
Le Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:18:18 +0200, Kathrin Babiker <k.babiker at gmx.de> a
  écrit:  > Hi, > I need an idea to build a layertree with consists not
only of baselayers > and overlaylayers but also of different sublayers like
this: > 1 - background > 2 - theme 1 >    2-1 theme 1 subpoint A >
2-1-1 subsubpoint A-a >        2-1-2 subsubpoint A-b >        2-1-3
subsubpoint A-c >   2-2 theme 1 subpoint B >       2-2-1 subsubpoint B-a >
     2-2-2 subsubpoint B-b > 3 - theme 2 >   3-1 theme 2 subpoint A > ... >
I mean it should look like a folder structure we know from our own PC. > >
I tried a layout (taken from tree.js from geoext) with OpenLayers, GeoExt >
and ExtJS but the structure is not going deep enough. The layers at >
subsubpoints should come from geoserver. > > > My code is like this: > >
var treeConfig = new OpenLayers.Format.JSON().write([{ >         nodeType:
"gx_baselayercontainer" >     }, { >         nodeType:
"gx_overlaylayercontainer", >         expanded: true, >         // render
the nodes inside this container with a radio > button, >         // and
assign them the group "foo". >         loader: { >             baseAttrs: {
>                 radioGroup: "foo", >                 uiProvider:
"layernodeui" >             } >         } >     }, { >         nodeType:
"gx_layer", >         layer: "Europäische Union (Gruppe)", >
isLeaf: false, >         // create subnodes for the layers in the LAYERS
param. If we > assign >         // a loader to a LayerNode and do not
provide a loader > class, a >         // LayerParamLoader will be assumed.
>         loader: { >             param: "LAYERS" >         } >     }],
true); > >     // create the tree with the configuration from above >
tree = new Ext.tree.TreePanel({ >         border: true, >         region:
"west", >         title: "Ebenen", >         width: 200, >         split:
true, >         collapsible: true, >         collapseMode: "mini", >
 autoScroll: true, > >         loader: new Ext.tree.TreeLoader({ >
   // applyLoader has to be set to false to not > interfer with loaders >
          // of nodes further down the tree hierarchy >
applyLoader: false, >             uiProviders: { >
"layernodeui": LayerNodeUI >             } >         }), >         root: {
>             nodeType: "async", >             // the children property of
an > Ext.tree.AsyncTreeNode is used to >             // provide an initial
set of layer nodes. We use the > treeConfig >             // from above,
that we created with > OpenLayers.Format.JSON.write. >
children: Ext.decode(treeConfig) >         }, > >         rootVisible:
false, >         lines: false > >     }); > > Is there anyone who can help
me? There MUST be any possibility to get   > well > structured tree, or?! >
Thanks > Kathrin >   --  --  Geoffrey BRUN  Étudiant en master SIGMA
Stagiaire au PNR du Haut-Languedoc  Hameau de Brassac Saint-Pons de
Thomières +33 (0) 6 77 74 44 16