After a good deal of fuddling around I found out was wrong:

1. OverlayLayerContainer includes all layers in the OpenLayers.Map object,
I had to replace it by a regular Ext TreeNode:

    WebGIS.treeNodes[tag] = new Ext.tree.TreeNode

2. The Layer node was being initialised with the layer name instead of the
OpeanLayers.Layer object. This how it should like:

    var newNode = new GeoExt.tree.LayerNode
    ({
        text: title,
        layer: layer,