Hi Andrew,

you are right the WMSCapabilitiesLoader has gone in GeoExt 2. To get a "WMS
Caps Tree" you have to put some things together on your own. I can give you
some hints, which can be a starting point:
  - Parse the WMS Caps with the GeoExt.data.WmsCapabilitiesLayerStore [1] to
have records holding layer objects representing the WMS layers [2]
  - Transform the layers to a LayerStore [3]
  - Implement a custom LayerLoader [4] and add it to a LayerContainer [5]
  - Finally the LayerContainer can be used as a plugin in a TreeStore like its
done in this example [6]

As I said, these are just some hints how this could be achievable. If you are
successful it would be nice if you could share the code, maybe we can create an
official example showing this.

Cheers,
Chris

[1]