I haven't had occasion to try it with LibreOffice yet, but I have opened a few .wps files in NeoOffice, which incorporates Go-oo code as does LibreOffice. The only problem I had was that it strips out formatting (double-spacing, centered text, etc.) so it's at best an imperfect solution.

From: andyki...@btinternet.com
Date: April 3, 2011 3:00:26 PM EDT
To: users@libreoffice.org
Subject: [libreoffice-users] Converting works files

Can I convert works 7.0 files (.wps) to work with open office or any other office program?
Thanks andy

From: Sigrid Carrera <sigrid.carr...@googlemail.com>
Date: April 3, 2011 3:25:55 PM EDT
To: users@libreoffice.org
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Converting works files

Hi,

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 19:00:26 +0000
andyki...@btinternet.com wrote:

Can I convert works 7.0 files (.wps) to work with open office or any other office program?

as far as I know, OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice cannot open .wps files. If you still have Works on your computer, you might want to save your documents as .doc or .rtf.

Sigrid