I can't confirm this behaviour. In my box LibreOffice works correctly. I can open doc files by doubleclick the file icon and the title bar report the file name. When I try to "save as...", I'm already in the correct folder.
Which version of LibreOffice are you using?

My versions:
LibreOffice 3.3.2 build 202
Windows XP SP3

Stefano