Kieth

On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 17:22 +0000, Keith Keller wrote:

> Hello:
>
>  I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 a few days ago and I LOVE IT! LibreOffice is a
> breath of fresh air and a GREAT step away from Larry Ellison's Oracle
> universe.
>
>  Having said this, I am also new to Linux. I'd like to submit a product
> enhancement request for your LibreOffice Suite. As I am a small business
> owner, the projects I and my colleagues work on have quite a few
> document/artifacts that consist of Presentations, Documents and even
> Spreadsheets.
>
>  Right now, we manage these in a set of project folders, however over the
> life of a project (sometimes a year or longer), we often-times end up with
> quite a few of these documents.
>
>  It would be awesome if LibreOffice provided the ability to create (for a
> lack of a better term) a "Artifact Workspace" whereby users can easily store
> documents, spreadsheet, presentations, etc (even Base databases), etc all
> within a single workspace file and still be able to check those files in and
> out of the workspace.
>
>  Imagine having only a single workspace file that contains all the
> documentation associated with a given project and have it password protected
> with check in and check out functionality.
>
>  The only other recourse for us is to get something like SharePoint or some
> other doc mgmt tool to do this.
>
>  Thanks!
>
>  Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the suggestion, I have forwarded it (and my reply) to our
design group.

It sounds like a simple document management system with version control
to me. I do not know of a office suite that has something like that
currently. Do you need remote access to these documents, something where
using a VPN would not work?

I do not know if database would be something you could use. LO does
include Base a database is a solution.
--
Jay Lozier
jsloz...@gmail.com