On 30/05/11 13:14, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions wrote:
I do wonder what is the difference as anchor TO a character vs. anchor
AS a character.

Having just been through the mill with OOo on that one.....

Anchor /as/ character puts the graphic (or what-have-you) inline with the text. It will flow with the text and cause wide lines for example.

Anchor /to/ character anchors to the character, but out-of-line. I don't [yet] use lo, but if it's the same as OOo the actual positioning defaults to relative to "somewhere" on the page [I'm hazy on the reasoning here] unless the attributes are set as position relative to character (an option missing from a relevant drop-box until 'anchor to' is set).

There's a thread on the openoffice users list in the last couple of weeks or so where some good folks were patiently putting me on the right path. I needed a line of text with symbols glued out-of-line above particular words and moving with text edits. (Guitar chord symbols over corresponding text, if you must know :-) The real problem was the OOo documentation; I can copy relevant descriptions to here from that thread if it's any use.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England