James Wilde wrote:

>> But I haven't noticed any post from a real user being eliminated or any
>> user
>> banned.
>
> Well, by definition, you wouldn't!  :)

If I read a post or posts from a user an then they are no longer in the
archive, I would notice that :)
Similarly if an "active user" whose posts are less than useful suddenly
stops posting I can assume that he came to his senses (unlikely) or that he
was forcefully "retired" :)

James Wilde wrote:

> Personally I think mailing lists are so last century and nerdy, and that
> we should be using a forum which non-technical users like, and then there
> would be some justification for calling us moderators.  Unfortunately tptb
> are also so last century and nerdy!  :)  But as long as we have the
> mailing list form, being a final spam filter is something I can do to
> advance the software I use and like, which development work I can't.

I couldn't agree more. But since some people prefer the mailing list I think
the best option would be to ALSO have an OFFICIAL forum. If a user ends up
by mistake at a mailing list he could be redirected to the forum.

But filtering real spam is indeed a contribution. It helps to weed useless
topics.
Of course a moderator would be much more useful if such a forum existed ;)

(Personal note: Non-developer contributions don't seem to be highly valued
in this community, in my experience...)