Jeff

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 23:44 +0000, jha...@comcast.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I attempt to open a 53 page .docx document (from MS Office 2010) with
> LibreOffice 3.3.1 (Suse Linux 11.2). The document opens (shows "Page 1/53" in
> the lower left corner) and is pretty much readable but then if I scroll down
> a couple of pages, its interface will freeze and in the lower left corner
> where it did show "Page 1/53" the "53" is an ever increasing number. I let it
> get up to about 8000 once before I killed the program to make it stop. Once,
> it froze the KDE GUI. I had to ctrl-alt-F1 to get to a console login and kill
> LibreOffice with the bash kill command.
>
> It does the same thing if I try to export the file as a PDF.
>
> The document does have some complicated diagrams. Perhaps they are throwing
> it.
>
> I just want to read this document. No immediate need to edit it.
>
> Any clues as to settings or options to keep the page counter from going
> ballistic when I open this thing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff Haran

LO 3.3.x has trouble successfully opening .docx format files. Success
seems to be hit or miss with 3.3.x. I have heard reports that 3.4.0 has
better success opening .docx formats but I have not confirmed this. I
have seen macro generated documents in particular be very troublesome
with 3.3.x.

LO 3.4.0 is not all the repositories yet so I do not know if you can
currently upgrade with Suse or if you wish to try downloading it and
installing. I check the Ubuntu repository and the current LO release is
3.3.2 and I am not sure when 3.4.0 will be pushed out.

--
Jay Lozier
jsloz...@gmail.com