________________________________
From: Steve Edmonds <steve.edmo...@ptglobal.com>
To: users@global.libreoffice.org
Sent: Sun, 19 June, 2011 19:27:53
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] How to do this header bar

On 20/06/11 4:11 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 10:19 15/06/2011 +0100, Mark Stanton wrote:
>> To reproduce a very common printing style I want to have a header line (on
>>every page) in my document with the page number on the right or left
>>depending
>>on whether it's a right or left page, and also centred text (on the same
>>line).
>>
>> I think the first bit isn't too hard (is it?), but I can't work out how to
>> have
>>centred text and not centred text on the same line.
>>
>> Anyone know how?
>
> Yup.  You'll have worked out that you need separate page styles for right and
>left pages, with the Next Style of each set to the other - so that they
>alternate through your document.  In both headers you need a centre tab at the
>centre and in the right page style you also need a right tab at the right text
>margin.  (You will probably find these already set for you in the default
>Right
>Page and Left Page page styles.)  The left page header content is then easy:
>obvious is that your right page header needs to contain <tab
>character><centred
>text><tab character><page number field>.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

Thanks, helped me. Its so simple and I had never thought of it. I'd be
embarrassed to explain how I was doing it.

Hi :)
For years and years i was doing this by making a 3 column, 1 row table in the
header and footer, same technique as i use for addresses at the top of letters.

The whole thing became a lot more sophisticated about a decade ago.  Different
types of tab-stops helped too.