On 2011-06-20, Mark Stanton wrote:

> Ah yes, that was simple.
>
> It looks a bit odd to me that, when I put in the centre tab, I have
> to pick a position for it, surely it should just centre itself
> depending on the page settings?

The "centered" in "centered tab" is about how text is aligned at the
tab, not about the tab position in the page -- you can have a centered
tab 2cm from the left margin.

But yes, it'd be useful to have something like a button to set the
position to the middle. (Suggested workaround: deduce text width from
the page margins and divide by two. :-) )

> And then, it clears all the tabs to its left, but leaves the ones to
> its right, isn't that a bit weird too?  I can make that (both of them
> in fact) do what I want, but it just seems a little
> counter-intuitive.

The ones that disappear are the default tabs, which are used when you
insert tab characters and there is no tab defined. As you defined a tab,
now default tabulations are only needed right to[*] the tab you just
added.

Think of it as a way to define the "undefined behavior" of what happens
when you insert a tab character and there are no (more) tabulations set.

[*] or "left to", when writing right-to-left text.

> One small step for mankind...
... a giant leap for [a] man?

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)