On 2011-06-20, Roxy Robinson wrote:

> [...] I think the Paste Special item came
> about because so many people started pasting stuff from web pages into
> documents
> (which is really nice) and didn't like what they were getting in their
> documents.
> Course, lots of folks, including myself, didn't understand just exactly what
> the
> command was for when it became available in M$ Office.

My two cents:

The idea I have of paste special is that some programs (at least in
Windows) put the copied content in the clipboard in more than one format
(so a WMF image gets in the clipboard as WMF and as a bitmap), and with
paste special you can now pick which version to paste.

And I guess then LibO and M$O added a couple conversions of their own to
that Paste Special option.

But I might be wrong.

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)