Hi Lee

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 16:18 +0200, Alexander Thurgood wrote:

> Le 24/06/11 15:13, lee a écrit :
>
> Hi Lee,
>

> > Now I would like to make it so that I can press a button and be
> > presented with a form or the like that lets me fill in the variable
> > data, inserts the data at the appropriate places into the document,
> > saves the document to a file I specify and exports the document as PDF
> > with a password for access rights to the PDF file set.
> >
> > How do I do that? Does it take some kind of advanced programming?
> >

> If you don't want to go down the mailmerge route, then the answer is
> yes, you will need to be able to program it in Basic or some other
> scripting language that LibO knows how to interpret (Javascript or
> Python for example) and can bind with UNO dialog components.
>
> Really, the simplest way would be to use a Calc spreadsheet to hold the
> data, and then bind those fields to your text document. Even here
> though, if you want it to automatically export your filled in text
> document as a password protected PDF, you will need to learn some kind
> of programming to automate it.
>
> Alternatively, use text placeholders in your document, but this will
> force you to type in each time for each and every different data set.
>

> Alex

Another possibility that works very well when you need a document that
needs the same type of content is to use an Input Field.

To do so:

INSERT>>FIELDS>>OTHER (or CTRL F2) click on Functions Tab then click on
Input. Enter the name of the field in the Reference Box. Click Insert
and Dialog Box opens. Your cursor should be in the large empty box, if
not, click on the large box. Type the place holder text you want that
will displayed when SHOW FIELDS is active. Click OK then click Close.

Do this for every location you want insert text. I would save this
document as a template.

When you open this template Writer will ask you to enter data for each
field in the order they were created.

This method works well when you have only a few documents you want to
create each time.

--
Jay Lozier
jsloz...@gmail.com