Hi

On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 06:33 -0700, tracey002 wrote:

> Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> > Since then I always make sure no RTF files comes near me ever.
>
> I have all due respect for your opinion and choice and I am glad you have
> the option to do that.
>
> I had never thought of saving all documents in RTF (maybe not a bad idea),
> but I do find RTF very useful for the purpose for which it was designed:
> portability.
> I have used RTF to send Documents and Data/Reports to recipients with
> diverse Office-Applications that did NOT have a choice with the
> Office-Application they were using (so I have successfully used RTF for
> portability).
>

> Sean Burke in RTF Pocket Guide wrote:
> > For no really good reason, support for these RTF character sets is
> > perfiect in some word processors, almost perfect in others..., and shoddy
> > in others...
>
> The capability of applications that state or imply RTF functionality is not
> a reflection of RTF, but on the competence (hence professionalism) of the
> developers that implement the Open/Import and Save-As/Export routines.
>
> This is true of *all* software: that includes the Microsoft Word Veiwer 2003
> that has problems correctly displaying the Word2002RTFSpec.doc.
>
> Just FYI, Tracey
> I normally do NOT use a screw driver as a substitute for a hammer, but I
> have used a heavy duty screw driver to pound the lid back on a paint can.
> I am not upset that screwdrivers are not hammers.

One problem with RTF is MS has different versions of the specification,
generally released when a new version of MSO comes out. If your software
does not read the newer versions, which I believe is the default for the
latest MSO version you may get garbled importing on occasion.

--
Jay Lozier
jsloz...@gmail.com